The spirit of sharing and bayanihan during yuletide season reached the Commission on Filipinos Overseas as 14 beneficiaries from different places in Metro Manila and nearby provinces were given cash donations from Filipinos overseas on 26 January 2010.
The Philippine Barangay Society in Nigeria (PBSN), a Filipino organization in Lagos, Nigeria, donated Two Hundred Twenty Five Thousand Pesos (P225, 000.00) to the CFO’s Lingkod sa Kapwa Pilipino (LINKAPIL) or Link for Philippine Development Program. The donation was turned over by the PBSN President Cristito Villaruel and his daughter Abigail Villaruel, CFO Executive Director Jose Maria J. Palabrica and CFO Deputy Executive Director Minda Cabilao Valencia to thirteen (13) families and one (1) religious organization as grant to fund small livelihood projects that will help the beneficiaries meet their daily needs.
The amounts were raised from fund-raising activities by the PBSN from the Filipino community in Nigeria. The amount represents their contribution to the development efforts in our country. According to Mr. Villaruel, the Filipino community in Nigeria wished that the amount will help the beneficiaries start small livelihood business.
The recipients were chosen on the basis of their economic status through interviews and background investigations. Some of the beneficiaries were affected by typhoon Ondoy, in September 2009 and Typhoon Pepeng a week after, flooding Metro Manila and the nearby provinces of Bulacan, Rizal, and other low-lying. Others were either jobless or underemployed whose income is not enough to cover their family expenses.
Thirteen (13) beneficiary-families during the turn over of Donation with PBSN President
Cristito Villaruel, CFO Executive Director Jose Maria J. Palabrica and
CFO Deputy Executive Director Minda Cabilao Valencia
Among those families who benefited from the said donation were the following with their corresponding small-scale livelihood projects:
1. Mr. Manuel & Linda Bumanglag – Buy & Sell Smoked and Dried Fish
2. Mr. Ricky & Maricel Cartoneros – Sari- Sari Store with Food Station
3. Mr. Jonathan & Margie Esguerra – Sari-Sari and Dry Goods Store
4. Ms. Lilibeth & Jenny-Lyn Rellama – Loading Station & School Supplies Mini-Store
5. Mr. Many & Thelma Duyao – Sari-Sari Store
6. Mr. Eufrascio & Novie Lasagas – Hamburger & French Fries Store
7. Mr. Jose & Maru Lou Quilala, Jr. – Sari-Sari Store with Bigasan
8. Mr. Tranquilino Fernandez – PVC Pipes Trading & RTW/Cosmetics Retailing
9. Ms. Elena Awey – Sari-Sari and School Supplies Store
10. Ms. Basilia dela Pena – Duck Raising
11. Mr. Mayo & Lucita Escasura – Backyard Hog Fattening 7 Raising
12. Mr. Rocillito Suniga – Sari-Sari Store
13. Mr. Romeo Gonzales – Hog Raising
14. St. Hannibal Empowerment Ctr. – Well of Wonders
Turnover of cash donation L-R: Executive Director Jose Maria Palabrica, Deputy Executive Director Minda Cabilao Valencia, Mr. Christito Villaruel and Fr. Dexter Prudenciano of St. Hannibal Empowerment Ctr.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 March 2010 15:14
http://www.cfo- linkapil. org.ph/index. php?option= com_content&view=article&id=37%3Anew- donor-from- nigeria-donated- 225000-to- the-cfos- linkapil- program&catid=1%3Alatest&Itemid=1